CONTINUITY OF CARE
Continuity of care allows patients to seek care with a consistent provider. These guidelines help dental hygienists understand their role in providing and assisting with continuity of care for their patients. The guidelines also discuss discontinuing care is an ethical manner.
Includes information about:
- What is continuity of care?
- Ongoing or episodic care
- Supporting the patient’s right to choose their dental hygienist
- Informing the patient of their right to choose
- Taking reasonable steps
- Presuming the patient intends to exercise their right to choose
- Identifying the patient’s dental hygienist
- Allowing the patient to reschedule their appointment
- Discontinuing care
- Reasons to discontinue care
- Steps required when discontinuing care
- Continuity of care during planned or unplanned leaves (temporary or permanent)
- Closing a Practice