In order to be eligible to apply as a new graduate, applicants must:
- have graduated from an accredited dental hygiene education program in Canada (CDAC) or the United States (CODA), and
- have never been registered as a dental hygienist in Alberta or any other jurisdiction
Click the button to download the new graduate application information. Please read the application information document carefully and in its entirety to ensure that you have submitted all required documentation.
New Graduate Application Information
Dental Hygiene Education and Substantial Equivalence
The University of Alberta Dental Hygiene Program is the Council-approved program in Alberta, as it teaches to the full scope of practice in Alberta. It serves as the benchmark program of study for all applicants for registration. Under section 5 of the Dental Hygienist Profession Regulation, when graduates from schools other than the U of A submit an application for registration, the College compares the qualifications and competencies required for graduation from that school to the qualifications and competencies required for graduation from the U of A program to determine if the other school is substantially equivalent to the U of A. This is done through a program review. The results of the review usually apply to cohorts that graduate within the 3 years after the graduation date of the program reviewed.
For example, if the College reviewed the dental hygiene program of a school whose students graduated in June of 2018 and found it to be substantially equivalent to the U of A program, applicants who graduated from that school between June 2018 and May 2021 would be eligible to apply directly to the College for registration. An application from an individual who graduated from that program after June 2021 would trigger a new program review. The College may, at its sole discretion, conduct program reviews more frequently.
The outcome of a program review is not guaranteed based on the previous review. The substantial equivalency of a program may change before an individual graduates, depending on when the last review was completed and how long the program is.
An applicant from a dental hygiene program that has been determined to be not substantially equivalent to the U of A program will be required to successfully complete the CPEDH.
Click the button for more information about the CPEDH.
In addition to the documentation listed in the Requirements for Registration section, new graduate applicants are also required to provide the following documentation with their application:
- An official transcript sent directly to the College from the Office of the Registrar of the post-secondary institution where you completed your dental hygiene diploma or degree
- A copy of your National Dental Hygiene Certification Board Exam (NDHCE) of Canada certificate
- The Application Fee for all new graduate applications is $350.
- The Practice Permit Fee for new graduate applications submitted within 12 months of graduation is $350.
- The Practice Permit Fee for new graduate applications submitted 12 months or more after graduation is $599.
Start the Application Process